Eggplant Parmesan Recipe by Bella Gluten-Free
Although this dish could be considered an appetizer, I like to add a mixed green salad and a loaf of gluten-free focaccia bread to make it a complete dinner.
Servings: Makes 8 servings. • Prep: 25 mins • Total: 45 mins
1 large purple globed eggplant, thinly sliced
3 TBL Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix, plus more if needed
1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
2–3 eggs, beaten
olive oil for frying or drizzling
3 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
8 oz. fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese, sliced
3 TBL fresh basil, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
|With Bella Gluten-Free Multigrain Bread Mix savory Italian is back on the table.
Mix It Up
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and set out a 9 x 9” baking dish.
• Slice eggplant into 1/4“ thick slices. Place slices in a single layer on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. This process removes excess moisture and also bitterness. When 30 minutes is up, blot moisture and excess salt from the eggplant.
• On 2 separate plates, add Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix and gluten-free bread crumbs (add salt and pepper if bread crumbs are unseasoned). Lightly beat 2 or more eggs in a medium bowl.
• For frying: Heat olive oil in large skillet and dress eggplant as follows: dust with all purpose mix, then dip in egg, and pat onto plate of gluten-free bread crumbs. Add to the hot oil when ready and fry until golden brown, about 3–5 minutes. Turn once. Place on plate lined with a paper towel to absorb excess oil and salt to taste.
• For baking: line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Dust with eggplant with all purpose mix, then dip in egg, and pat onto plate of gluten-free bread crumbs. Place them in single layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over the top of slices and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake in a 375 degree oven until tender, about 15 minutes.
• Ladle 1/4 cup of sauce into the baking dish. Add eggplant pieces in a single layer to the bottom. Add another ladle of sauce to the top of the eggplant layer and sprinkle it with about 2 TBL Parmesan cheese, about 1/4 of the mozzarella and 1 TBL basil. Ladle with sauce again and repeat the process until all the ingredients are used up. Cover the top with remaining sauce, sprinkle with remaining cheese and decorate with a full basil leaf.
• Bake in oven covered with a tightly fitting lid or with foil for about 20–25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling. Let set for 5 minutes before cutting.
Use alternative mozzarella cheese; omit Parmesan cheese.